Adaptive, Flexible, Modular and Scalable
Future Tech’s data center solution is a pre-engineered data center facility, assembles in the field, scales to any size, installs quickly and expands easily. When completed, it creates a highly insulated, air tight, hermetically sealed, energy efficient enclosure, providing significant operational energy savings. The structural performance of the enclosure mitigates the risk of both man-made and natural disasters such as water, fire, smoke, heat, dust, wind, break-in and it has a seismic rating. Our structure meets all of the international building codes for an exterior structure allowing indoor or outdoor use. For indoor use, the unit is independent of the building architecture and can accommodate columns within a building. It can be assembled virtually anywhere within a building. For exterior use, the structure acts as both the exterior shell and the interior walls. We have examples of assembled structures indoors, outdoors and inside Iron Mountain. Our solution provides seamless integration with mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) practices/protocols. The pre-engineered approach, when combined with the resulting structural performance, allows the data center to be as flexible and adaptive as the business it needs to support. The cost is on par with conventional construction and it offers the lowest TCO.
This time lapse video assembly shows both the exterior structure and the interior wall construction of our modular data center solution. This is the second data center for this client, both built in a parking area.
The benefits of our pre-engineered solution are:
Time and Scheduling Efficiencies
• Reduced construction schedules. Assembles quickly and expands easily
• Accelerated path to saving/revenue by delivering the data center to your business sooner
• Pass NFPA Pressurization, first time, every time for the life of the facility
• Avoid overbuilt capacity by a scaled build over time. Rightsizing by matching spatial footprint with current technological requirements without limiting the ability to meet future growth
• Adaptive design. Can fit in any space, be built to any size and easily expand as required
• Scaled build over time. Reduced budget by rightsizing
• Avoidance of capital improvement to the building shell and space – the MCF Series iFortress™ meets IBC standards for an exterior building
• Better use of capital by deferring costs until required, potential tax benefits and lease options
Energy and Operational Efficiencies
• Cumulative energy savings – the MCF Series iFortress™ enclosure is airtight, hermetically sealed with R/22 walls, ceiling and doors. In addition, rightsizing means less space to cool
• Reduced maintenance – No dust, no humidity, no pollutants. A controlled environment
• 100% net efficiency gain on zero pressurization costs
• Potential for reduced real estate costs and operating costs by using less desirable space. The MCF Series iFortress™ meets IBC standards for an exterior building
Site Selection and Real Estate Efficiencies
• Unlimited options. The MCF Series iFortress™ meets all of the international building codes allowing a data center to be on a slab outdoors, in warehouses or anywhere within a building including the roof
Security/Risk Mitigation Efficiencies
• Comprehensive risk mitigation- Protects against fire, heat, hurricanes, floods, EMI/RFI, smoke/dust/noxious gas, roof collapse, water (leaks) and break–in
• Disaster prevention versus disaster recovery
• Insurance savings from an increased deductible
iFortress™: Independent Testing on a full assembly including DOD Testing
Licensed engineers, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, Intertek ETL, AKRON, ASTM, The United States Marine Corps, and The United States Army Developmental Test Command at Aberdeen Proving Grounds participated with this testing. 100% of the DOD testing for the Pentagon was conducted on an exterior assembly that was subjected to extreme conditions exceeding normal environmental or human elements. These extreme conditions included loading, racking, hurricane force sustained winds, explosions, force entry, and a 4 megawatt crib fire. Upon the completion of the testing, the unit remained standing with no negligible structural defects other than the panels subjected to the fire assault. In the Lab testing, a unit baked at 1,800 degrees for 90 minutes and water hosed immediately after it was removed from the oven. After all the testing, the structural integrity of the MCF Series iFortress™ was intact.
Fire testing of a complete unit by the American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) iFortress achieved an E-119 Class 125 enclosures rating for 90 minutes at 1,800 degrees.
The unit also has a Department of State RF, Sound Transmission Classification (STC) Group I to IV Sensitive Compartmental Information Facility (SCIF) classification. The iFortress meets the ICD 705/ ICS 705.1 STC and structural standards required of a SCIF.
iFortress technologies provide for Structural, Hydro-Dynamic, Fire/Thermal, and Environmental security via a modular, deployable system:
- • iGuard™ Armor Panel assembly (A) – using recycled steel for the walls and ceiling provides modularity and ease of expansion in the field (no disruption to ongoing operations)
- • Gasket material is inert, non-conductive/combustible, intumescent, air/water tight seal and rated -3500F to +1,8000F
- • iMount™ Interlocking Technology (B) – ensures all panels are properly sealed via visual indicator
- • Joist System (C) – employs open web design which facilitates cabling and ducting installation
- • iPassage™ door systems (D) – feature double steel wall construction with performance specific core (rated or non-rated), continuous security piano-hinge design, crash bar, and interface-able with identity management systems
- • Rapid Deployment – using standard tools, assembly time is measured in hours or days (2,500 sqft facility, completed in 6 days/170 man hours)
- • iPortal™ Purpose specific systems (E) – to manage penetrations (electric, heat/AC, cabling (depicted), etc.) while maintaining rated performance
- • Air tight, water tight, fire/thermal protection
- • Standardizing Site Variables – location variables are eliminated from the deployment process
- • Interior and exterior (all weather) applications are suitable for iFortress systems
- • Repeatable Processes – ensure consistent quality of all iFortress systems
- • LEED compliant – eco-friendly (scalable, reusable, recyclable), which reduces operating power consumption by 25% – 35%
A modular data center must be able to support your business needs. This includes being able to scale up, contract and be moved if need be. Below is an example of a data center that was built, disassembled, stored and reused to build a smaller unit to take advantage of higher density servers coupled with virtualization.
Building a data center is a large investment. Any usage within the data center that is not supporting the business is eating into that investment. This client had interior data center whitespace and wanted it to support only the technology. They decide to put the UPS, Battery and Electrical infrastructure outside of the whitespace in what was a parking area.
Government compliance is critical to stay in business. Off-site storage is an important component of compliance. Humidity, dust and many other uncontrollable elements are risk factors to valuable tape storage. A controlled environment is a must.
There are parts of the world where cold temperatures for long periods of time can be used to lower the cost of cooling a data center. Here is an example of a customer who is taking advantage of this.
Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF)
Our solution has been deployed and accredited across multiple Agencies in both CONUS and OCUNUS. It can be deployed, decommissioned and re-deployed. The cost is on par with conventional construction but the deployment eliminates months from the project schedule. It mitigates the risk of natural and man-made disasters such as rain, fire, smoke, water, wind and is seismic rated. Our Sensitive Facility meets International Building Code (IBC). The US based manufacturing facility has been US Government inspected and approved for security purposes